Friday, May 17, 2013

The Motherland

The question I get asked most often is "why Germany?" There's a very simple answer to that: my parents wouldn't let me go to Jordan. But I studied German for two years in high school, so it didn't seem like too bad of a plan B.

The longer answer is that I've decided that I want to visit all of the countries that my ancestors are from. (Well, I want to visit every country period, but I figure I can start with my heritage!) Aside from being 100% 'Murican, on my dad's side I am about 1/4 German, 1/8 French,  and 1/8 Scottish, and 1/4 English, 1/4 Slovak on my mom's. Fun fact about my ancestors: according to my dad, the family name used to be Vreeland, but his great-great-(great?)-grandfather was a horse-thief. His son was ashamed of that fact, so he took his mother's maiden name, St. Clair, which was then changed to Sinclair upon the family's arrival in the U.S. But anyways, I figured Germany would be a good place to start, since I have a decent understanding of the language and ancestral ties, so I will be spending about 2 months in Freiburg, Germany, and will do my best to post updates about my various adventures there!

No comments:

Post a Comment